Another bowl of slop… but so good! And again, so cheap. This is like rice and beans, but with quinoa instead of rice.
QUINOA & BLACK BEANS
- 1 tsp. butter or olive or coconut oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 C uncooked quinoa, soaked for 24 hours. (See importance of soaking here and see how to soak quinoa here.)
- 1 1/2 C chicken stock
- 2 tsp. ground cumin (or more)
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional… or to taste)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 C frozen corn
- 2 15oz cans black beans (or 3-4 cups)
- 1/2 C chopped fresh cilantro
- sour cream and shredded cheese for garnish (optional)
1. Heat oil and saute onion until browned. Add garlic and cook until just fragrant.
2. Rinse and drain quinoa. Put into saucepan and cover with chicken stock and spices. Add cooked onion and garlic to saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover and reduce heat, simmer 20 minutes or so.
3. Add frozen corn and continue to simmer about 5 minutes or until corn is heated through. Mix in the black beans and cilantro and serve.
[Note: I upped the amount of spices I put in mine but I didn’t make the exact amounts of anything either. Make sure you taste and add more if it is too bland.]
Variations: Add steak, chicken, or shrimp. Add red, yellow or green peppers. Add jalapenos for heat.