Welllllllll, I just wrote a lengthy book review on The Help. And it got erased. I thought auto-save helped with that…..
I just can’t write it all again.
Here’s my synopsis:
- Fantastic book, great writing. Compelling, impactful, stirring.
- Don’t read it if you have life to do. I couldn’t put it down. Kept it open on the counter so I could read a sentence as I walked by. Shame, shame!
- Can’t believe that actually happened and in my parents lifetime. Can’t believe it still happens today in people’s private views toward black people and other races.
- There are anti-Christian views and language used in this book. This doesn’t mean you shouldn’t read it, just be aware. It makes it authentic and raw and real and is probably necessary. Probably less than a PG-13 movie.
- The Gospel is the only thing that can truly change hearts. Activism, social justice, civil rights, education. All of these things help make progress, but none of them will do the work of eradicating hate in hearts. The Gospel is our solution. More on that in my next Book Review (which will hopefully be a real review): Bloodlines: Race, Cross, and the Christian.
Rating: A. Highly recommended!
Title: The Help
Author: Kathryn Stockett
Length: 464 Pages